Add pictures, videos and stickers to conversations
The official application of Google, Hangouts sets the objective to open instant communication between users. You can type, video chat or even dial friends and family members for free phone calls, depending on where they live. Hangouts replaces the old Google Talk because it integrates better with the Google+ Ecosystem.
Since Google Talk, Hangouts added new features to their classic messaging tool. For example, Google added more visual materials, emoticons and photographs to the classic massaging system. Because of these new features, you can express yourself better than ever before, seeing as you have hundreds to choose from. Identical to Google Talk, you can switch text-based conversations over to video conferences. During a video conference, you can hook up with 10 people at a time, which unfortunately, does not stack up to Skype's video conferences where 25 people can connect to instant video chat. You can also have group chats of up to 150 people, but Skype lets you have group chats with 300 people.
Hangouts' accessibility looks much better than Google Talk's, and you can hook up to this service from every platform, including smartphone, tablet, laptop and iPad. The software also lets users record their conversations. Let's say you need to save photographs from someone who shared pictures with you. You can add the pictures to a personalized folder. The downside of the latest software, however, is how it does not let users switch to "invisible mode." Once you connect, you can't hide it. The calling rates of Google Hangouts are also very reasonable to many of the countries where you want to dial friends and family.
- Free phone calls to US and Canada
- Video conferences with 10 people
- Many new visual materials to express yourself
- Integrates with every major platform
- No invisible mode
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- READ_SMS: Allows an application to read SMS messages.
- RECEIVE_MMS: Allows an application to monitor incoming MMS messages.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- SEND_SMS: Allows an application to send SMS messages.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to change network connectivity state.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.